I have rediscovered the magic of my Slow Cooker since having my baby 9 weeks ago, and just in time too for the autumnal / wintery weather seasons that we are coming into!
If you do not own one of these fantastic appliances, perhaps its time to start looking around for one! I was gifted one a few years ago, and can honestly say (as someone who is not the best or most patient cook in the world!) that I would not be without it. I really value the free time it gives me (i.e. I am not standing over the hob cooking), while trying to juggle a new baby’s routine, family, work (from home) and my postpartum training too!
Nutritious clean eating soups, stews, curries and casseroles are so easy to plan, prepare and store ahead of time, making them the perfect mainstay of the postpartum diet. They are also fantastic family meals too – keep them whole & chunky for Mum & Dad, blend them to soups for the kids or puree them into fab weaning foods for baby!
The base of this ‘Clean Eating’ stew is the superfood, Sweet Potato – These yummy vegetables are an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, some vitamin B6, potassium and fibre. You’ll also find small amounts of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin E. They are easy to digest and are also beneficial since they do not tend to increase the blood sugar levels significantly in spite of their high carbohydrate content; Chicken – a source of high quality protein & vitamin B source (both important for tissue building & repair in the body); and another superfood Quinoa, a super grain high in protein, fibre and iron.
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes (1lb) – cut into cubes
- 1 ½ lbs chicken breast, diced
- 1 x 16oz can organic Butter beans or Cannelli Beans
- 1 cx 16oz can organic chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- 5 cups (2 ½ pints) of Low Salt Chicken Stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teasp chili powder (optional)
- Heat Oven to 180 degree C / 350 degrees F / Gas 4 or preheat Slow Cooker on High for 20 minutes
- Prep and layer the sweet potato into the Slow Cooker pot followed by the diced chicken, beans, tomatoes, quinoa and garlic.
- Mix in the chicken stock & stir well.
- Slow Cooker Method – 1. Cook on High Setting for 3 hours OR Low Setting for 6-8 hours (but remember to warm up the cooker for 20 minutes on High first!)., while you prep the ingredients.
- Slow Cooker – Change setting to Low, and cook for 6 – 8 hours. No need to stir during cooking.
- Oven Method – Reduce heat to 150 degrees C / 300 degrees F / Gas 3, and cook for 2 – 2 ½ hours, stirring occasionally and not allowing the fluid to dry off.