This is a super nutritious recipe that I added to my Little Black book of ‘Cook Quickly’ Ideas.
It has become a go-to favourite of mine in my quest to lose a few post Christmas pounds that still like to happily reside around my middle!
It is jam-packed with protein & fibre (which satisfies the appetite); Vitamins A & B complex (which help with visual function, immune function, protein metabolism and nervous system function); Iron (especially good for postpartum women); Lauric Acid, which are the fatty acids found in the coconut milk – when digested by the body, they yield antiviral & antibacterial compounds that may help protect the body from infections & viruses..
This recipe will give me 3 – 5 generous serves, which I would use for either a hearty lunch or light supper.
- 1 Butternut Squash – peeled, cored & chopped into chunks
- 200g carrots, diced
- 100g Red Lentils, rinsed
- 400ml can of Coconut Milk (I used Light, but you can go Full Fat version!)
- 1 tablespoon mild Curry Powder
- 700ml Vegetable Stock
- Heat a little oil in a large pot, add butternut squash & carrot and cook for 1 minute
- Add in the curry powder, cook for 1 minute
- Lastly, add in the stock, lentils & coconut milk – give a good stir. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-25 minutes
- When cooked, blend to a lovely smooth, thick consistency.
- Serve, topped with some chopped coriander (and a dollop of Crème Fraiche or Sour Cream if you are feeling naughty!)
PS for a really satisfying lunch, I like a slice or 2 of the ever-popular Porridge Bread that we like here in Platinum!