With BBQ season in full swing, us (99%) vegetarians can be left out in the cold.
Not anymore! These delicious and easy to do fritters are always a treat!
First off, remember I am a BRUTAL cook, so if I can make these work, anyone can. They can be eaten straight from the oven, of better still, cold with lots of salad. I have these childhood memories of only eating salads once the sun came out. Give them a bash and feel free to invite me over to sample them!
What you need.
For the Fritters:
- 2 large broccoli stalks and heads, roughly 900g.
- 2 large spring onions finely sliced.
- 3 garlic cloves diced.
- 1 tsp of lemon zest.
- 100g of ground almonds.
- 80g of grated parmesan
- A handful of chopped coriander
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt.
- 1 tsp or ground chilli.
- 2 eggs.
- coconut oil to fry.
For the spicy avocado dip:
- 2 large Avocados.
- 4 tbsp of lime juice.
- 3-4 tbsp of olive oil.
- 5 tbsp of natural yoghurt.
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped.
- 3 garlic cloves, diced.
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 170 or gas mark 5.
- Use the coarse side of a hand grater to grate the whole broccoli. Using the fine side make sit too wet.
- Combine all the fritter ingredients, except the eggs, in a large bowl.
- Mix in one of the eggs, beaten, making sure not to over mix it as it gets too wet. If it does become too wet, add more almonds. If too dry, add the other egg, beaten, to the mixture in small amounts.
- Take a spoonful to make a tester fritter. Fry in coconut oil and taste for flavour. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Once happy with the flavour, shape the mixture into 20 – 25 patties. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- To make the spicy dip, simple. Blend all the ingredients together, slowly adding the cayenne pepper depending on how spicy you like it.
They make a great nibbly dish for everyone at a BBQ. Mix it up with lots of salad and maybe go wild and add some Hummus. Broccoli is such a popular choice as it is full of goodness.