The Sunshine Vitamin
The sky is blue, the sun is shining and it’s warm enough to go out in shorts and a t-shirt. It’s perfect weather not only for working on your tan but also, to stock up on your stores of vitamin D!
Did you know that our bodies synthesise vitamin D using the sun and we need at least 20 minutes’ exposure daily and a good bit of skin exposed. In Ireland, we do not get many chances to go bare and soak up the rays so we need to take advantage of this natural nutrition when we can.
Be warned though – suncream is still essential.
The sunshine vitamin is important for several reasons
- Regulation & absorption of calcium and phosphorous,
- Facilitating of normal immune function,
- Normal growth and development of bones and teeth,
- Improved resistance against certain diseases,
- Lack of vitamin D can increase the risk of developing bone abnormalities such as osteoporosis.
The sunny weather might not last for very long, so when it’s gone be sure to include plenty of Vitamin D rich foods in your diet such as salmon, sardines, egg yolk, milk (fortified), cereal (fortified) and orange juice (fortified) – but until then make the most of the sunshine!